So much to do, so little time!
The book chapter is due soon, but supposedly my advisor is giving me a full draft soon to work on while she's out of town this weekend. Hopefully that will be one more thing off the list soon.
My (nearly) re-submitted paper got converted to thesis-format a couple days ago, and it felt like I'd written an entire chapter, even though it took only 2 years to write! ;-)
The other chapters are coming along, but they are infinitely harder. I find myself fine-tuning figures to at least be productive, but really I'm procrastinating thinking up things to write. I will have to buckle down and get that under control soon.
I sent my ideas for postdocs and a couple pieces of possible letters to send them to a former student from this lab, and she approved, so maybe, just maybe I will have the courage to approach my advisor about it. I'm not sure why, but this is the scariest part for me. Part of it is probably that I don't want her judging my choices, part of it is that I'm scared about actually putting myself out there, and part of it is that I really don't want to leave a certain someone behind here. But, I really don't have a whole lot of other options, so I had better get started on that soon, as well.
I found out that someone that is one year behind me, and someone that is two years behind me, will likely be walking and getting their degrees with me. That feels very discouraging. It's hard not to compare yourself to other people. I wouldn't have traded this extra time in State College for anything, but at the same time, I feel like I didn't work hard enough or something, even though I know that's not true.
No comments:
Post a Comment