I'm glad that I got the motivation to do more writing when my advisor is gone. It gives me the chance to adjust to a new schedule without her watching me, which will perhaps give me the confidence to disappear more often once she is back. I have been working part-time and writing part time. Most days that means 6 hours work-3 hours writing, and hopefully some more in the evening (but not always...). But I have to leave lab- I am not that great at writing in lab. Data analysis is fine, but actually focusing on reading papers and writing is hard for me, when there is plenty to be done and people who may or may not ask me questions are everywhere on the edge of distracting me.
My (admittedly ambitious) goals for the next week are:
Writing:
1. Write the discussion section of my second paper.
2. Read a ton and write at least 10 more pages of my intro chapter (I currently have 11 pages written).
3. Start reading for the book chapter.
4. Draft cover email for at least 2 people I might be interested in doing a post-doc with.
Lab:
1. I have some membrane preps to do, possibly this weekend. These are for any westerns I still need to do, and also to get ready for mass spec.
2. Check the mutants I tried to make, should be ready Tuesday.
3. Start the process of trying to clone a couple of genes onto a plasmid as alternative method of complementation; though still not as useful as the phenotypic complementation I'm interested in getting someday, at least it is something.
4. Finish some microarray comparisons so I can present some ideas at the other lab's group meeting in a week and a half.
The other thing I have to confess, which I have mentioned before, is that this is all subject to change because I am really good at productive procrastination. I might not get one of these things done, but will get something else of value done instead. It's just how I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment